Thursday, March 23, 2017

RECIPE: CALIFORNIA MAKI


I do love Japanese food but unfortunately its either expensive or unavailable in my area.

I always wonder how is it made or how can I have it daily or every time I wanted.

So I did search the web for a place where can I buy Japanese ingredients in Manila. Fortunately I have found FUJIMART and its just on the way from my supplier. I will write a separate post about it.

I decided to make CALIFORNIA MAKI. The difference between California Maki and Sushi is the way it's rolled. The California Roll has the sushi rice on the outside with the nori on the inside. A Sushi roll has the sushi rice on the inside with the nori on the outside.

CALIFORNIA MAKI RECIPE

4 TBSP MIRIN (RICE WINE)
1 TBSP SUGAR
1/2 TSP SALT
4 CUP JAPANESE RICE COOKED
CRABSTICK (KANI)
RIPE MANGOES
MAYONNAISE
CUCUMBER
NORI (SEAWEED PAPER)
EBIKO
BAMBOO MAT

PRCEDURE:
  1. Mix mirin, sugar and salt. Place on a microwave oven for 1 minute to fully dissolve.
  2. Pour the mirin mixture to the rice and then fold using wooden spoon.
  3. Make sure to wrap the sushi mat with cling wrap.
  4. Lay the nori sheet into the mat (shiny side down). Cover the entire sheet with rice. Then flip over.
  5. Place the crabstick, mayonnaise, mangoes and cucumber. Using the mat as a guide, carefully roll the California roll into a tight log. Remove the rolling mat.
  6. Cut into half and roll it to ebiko. Then cut it to either 8 or 6 equal portion.
  7. Serve it with soy sauce and wasabi if desire.
Here is the video on how I did it. Click HD for better viewing.


Please do note that I am not a chef and all my recipe are based on my experienced.

There you go Nayshie. Happy Cooking.

xoxo,




No comments

Post a Comment

© Modern Nanay
Maira Gall